Salt Lake City Temple


Temple #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
July 27, 2013


     Volumes have been written about the Salt Lake Temple, and I feel as if what I write will be nothing compared to all else, yet I shall still write about it, because it is spectacular. It cannot be overlooked, nor can it be put aside. 
     It's hard to remember our first time to the Salt Lake Temple, because of how many other times we've been. We do remember though being just blown away and overly amazed as we first went through it. 
     First off, let's talk about Temple Square. The first time Ivy went to Temple Square she was probably a newborn. Her family has gone often, and always go to enjoy the lights each Christmas. She has always loved the Salt Lake Temple, and always dreamed of going, and it was exciting when we finally went. 
     To bring in a little family history, Ivy’s parents got married in the Salt Lake Temple, along with her Grandma and Grandpa Peart. Ivy’s oldest brother Paul and his wife April got sealed there, and Ivy’s older sister Heidi and her husband Trevor got married there as well. Also, Ivy has gone many times to the Temple to do baptisms for the dead, it being their Temple they're assigned to. So the Salt Lake Temple has had some meaning to Ivy. 
     For me, Joe, I had really only seen it in pictures. It wasn't until I was maybe ten or so that I first saw it, yet I can't even really remember that. The time I first remember is this;
     When Ivy and I were first dating, she invited me up to her parents house for New Years. I was desperate to see her, and so I did what I could to make it work. I ended up going up North with my friend Brad. We stayed the weekend at Ivy’s parents house, and had a marvelous time. 
     One day while there we went down to Temple Square, which was the first time I actually remember seeing it in person. The lights surrounding Temple Square were magical. Colors of all sorts everywhere, music in the air, and the beaming castle of a temple standing in the middle of it. It was just wonderful. 
     Ivy and I got one of our first pictures together here, and it is a great memory in our little history of dating. 
     When we first went to the Salt Lake Temple to do a session, we were incredibly excited. We've heard stories, read about it, seen pictures all growing up, and then that day came and we were able to go. 
     The Salt Lake Temple rises high above you as you draw close to it. It's the largest temple in the Church, and for good reason. It's constantly busy, with hundreds of people going in and out everyday, and plenty of weddings constantly take place.  
     The interior of the Temple is simply gorgeous. I am a carpenter somewhat, and so I admire all woodwork I see. The carved moldings, and intricate hand railings just widened my eyes, and still do. The elegant drapes and curtains, and the magnificently painted murals cover every room. 
     This is also one of the seven temples in which you transition rooms as you go through a session. It is also extremely unique to where it, and the Manti Utah Temple, are the only two temples that do a live session. It is an uplifting and adoring experience, making it a must for all. 
     Once we got to the Celestial room we did what we made a goal to do in every temple; we hugged and gave each other a little kiss. We then admired the room; It was astonishing. To see what the pioneers did was incredible. A crazy fact to me is that the Temple took forty years to build, yet the entire interior only took a year total. Those pioneers and craftsmen were dedicated, and did a marvelous job. 
     After admiring the room for a while, and walking around it, we asked each other if we learned anything from the spirit or session. Something is usually said, and then we sit and just soak in the peace. 
     We have been back many times to the Salt Lake Temple, to do sealings, endowments, anointings and baptisms. Ivy has also had the privilege to clean it, which was an enjoyment to her. Darcy has also been a worker in the temple, which has brought blessings and great opportunities of different kinds to their family. 
     The Salt Lake Temple is an inspiring symbol of the church, and pictures of it are everywhere. It is one of our top favorite temples, and for many reasons. It is a must see, must visit temple. We love this temple, and glad to call it ours as we live within its district. We are so glad we live so close to it, although it's still an hour drive, it is completely worth it. 


Comments

  1. Joe I just want to tell you how proud I am of you creating this blog, IvyEllen is so lucky that you are such a great writer and also have the desire to post. Your future generations will cherish this blog. I so wish I would have done something like this for all my different Temple experiences, you think you will remember but after so many different temples and over the years you really can't remember those details. Joe, we are so blessed to have you as IvyEllen's husband, I appreciate all that you do with and for her, just bring her back from Russia!!!!!!! I love reading your love of the Temple and your feelings of each different one. Keep up the good work! I am a little miffed that you and IvyEllen have passed Darcy & I up in the number of different Temples you have already gone to in your 3 years of marriage but deep down I'm so proud of you!! Love you both, The Lord will continue to bless your lives as you continue to go to the Temples!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts